Open Water Diver Informational Handout
Becoming an SSI Open Water Diver is the best way to start your scuba adventure due to worldwide recognition! With personalized training and taking enough time, we make sure you are truly comfortable under water with the skills and equipment you will use. In general, an Open Water Diver course consists of 3 parts: Academics, Pool Training and Open Water Sessions.
The SSI Training Materials and Online Training program are designed so that you can learn the academics at your own pace when it is convenient for you. You can complete the academics online when you sign up for SSI’s Online Training program, and then attend review sessions at your favorite SSI Dive Center.
For your pool and open water training your instructor will fit you to your scuba equipment so you will become comfortable in your “second skin”.
Open Water Sessions:
You will complete at least 4 open water dives and have the chance to experience everything you learned in the pool hands-on. After successful completion of your open water training dives you will become a Certified Diver. The SSI Open Water Diver certification is recognized worldwide so your diving experiences will be limitless.
The fun doesn’t need to stop there! With just a little more training, you can go even further – imagine diving in underwater shipwrecks, with sharks, or becoming an underwater photographer! Check out all of the exciting Specialty Programs you can get involved in. It’s your chance to move to the next level in your diving adventures. SSI will be a reliable buddy accompanying you on your way.
Already Certified? Now that you are certified, Adventure Sports can keep you progressing to whatever level of dive mastery you would like. See below for a list of specialties we support or click HERE, or the Image to the left to go to our Advanced and Specialty page.
- Scuba Skills Update (Haven’t done a dive in over a year? You need this class before your trip)
- Deep Diving Night and Limited Visibility Diving
- Boat Diving Perfect Buoyancy (Takes confident divers to new levels in buoyancy control, Customer favorite)
- Digital Underwater Photography
- Stress and Rescue
- Specialty Diver (2 Specialties and 12 Dives logged)
- Advanced Open Water Diver (4 Specialties and 24 Dives logged)
- Master Diver (Advanced Open Water Diver + Stress and Rescue + CPR/FA/O2/AED)
Dive Professional Training:
- Dive Guide
- Dive Control Specialist
- Open Water Instructor
- Advanced Open Water Instructor
- Dive Control Specialist Instructor
- Instructor Trainer